IIUM Nurse Bloggers

Ex-IIUM Matric

Kebun Ilmu

Ustaz's note

Ayat-Ayat Cinta

"dan boleh jadi kamu benci kepada sesuatu padahal ia baik bagi kamu, dan boleh jadi kamu suka kepada sesuatu padahal ia buruk bagi kamu. Dan (ingatlah), Allah jualah yang mengetahui (semuanya itu), sedang kamu tidak mengetahuinya”
[Al-Baqarah 2: 216]

Sahabat Blogger IIUM

Mardhtillah Matlubi

~ I wish I could make people smile and make them know how beautiful life is. Just a plain me, seeking His bless worldly and hereafter.~

Total Pageviews

Wahai Rasulullah...

Ingin ku susuri denai hidup mu, ya Rasulullah
Izinkan aku mencintai mu
Izinkan aku merinduimu

Selawat dan Salam yang setinggi-tingginya ke atas mu
Wahai Kekasih Allah..

Sembang Hikmah

~Demi Masa~

"Demi Masa..Sesungguhnya manusia itu berada di dalam kerugian..Melainkan orang-orang yang beriman dan beramal soleh..dan berpesan-pesan dengan kebenaran dan berpesan-pesan dengan kesabaran" Berapa banyak lagi masa yang bersisa untuk kita??
Powered by Blogger.

Monday, December 30, 2013

2nd Mujahidah..Welcoming Little Sofiy!!

I gave birth to a girl via VBAC with no episiotomy and 1st degree tear..stitches done during my baby was on my chest..I gave birth to a girl via VBAC with no episiotomy and 1st degree tear..stitches done during my baby was on my chest..My 2nd little mujahidah Birth Story

• Born on 21.12.13 @10.44pm
• At Hospital Sultanah Nur Zahirah, Terengganu..
• Via SVD/VBAC after 1st czer in January 2012
• Weight 3.1kg length 53cm
• Born at 41week of gestation

Part One

*Week 38*

We travelled back to Terengganu as we decided to have our 2nd child here..Rain accompanied us along the way from Pahang to Terengganu..

On Monday evening I felt a quite strong contraction (hardening of my belly) followed by clear fluid discharge.. we were all alarmed and my husband decided not to go back to Malacca as we assumed the time will be soon..

Unluckily, the contractions subsided on the next day but my husband was stucked by rain, flood and closed route back to Malacca..the he stayed in Terengganu the whole week..I wish the baby will come out during the time but it was not her time yet.

*Week 39*

Mild contractions came on and off.. I realized there was more whitish discharge and I asked few friends and experienced moms, they said it is a normal sign of getting closer to labor as our body is preparing birth canal for the baby to get through..moist and smooth for baby's movement.

Check up done and everything was fine..But I started to hesitate my EDD.. I guess it should be later by two weeks..(huhu, maybe i was in denial state as I really dont want an induced labor). Even I was in denial phase, it didnt stop me to ask and search around about induction and it effects on me as I have previous czEr history in case I really need to face it..

In the meantime..I just kept myself calm and kept praying to Allah to give me the best for us and silently but strongly as to have my baby delivered normally via svd..ohh.., i am dying to know the feeling of having baby by normal delivery..

I went for check up with Specialist at KK as I was under yellow tagging due to my low HB level (consistently 8-9 along the pregnancy) and there I was warned about complications will occur if I wanna try VBAC.. I just smiled to her and say "insya Allah , it will be all right"

I did ask people around about my on off contractions and positively some said it is normal for Vbac moms to have longer labor and early contractions like i feel as my uterus is preparing itself to give birth soon.

*Week 40*

Time went by..and there were still on off contractions but I could feel it become more intense but still bearable till everybody around kept saying that I didnt looked like a person who gonna have labor.. I also didnt know when the time will come as I didnt know what real contractions feel like..

Whitish discharge became more and more but the contractions were still on and off..

My next check up was for taking admission letter if I reach 40+7 days (submitting myself for induction?).. I just went there and took it. But deep inside my heart I really didnt want to have it. Just have the letter first to follow procedure but we decided not to go on the day if baby is fine..

I prayed a lot and talking to baby most of the time after prayer..I did walking around, squatting and even playing ball with Zahra in the evening..The contractions were still on and off..

The worried husband in Malacca always reminded me to tell him earlier if I think the time had come.but I just didnt have any idea on what base I need to call him back..we really wish he will be right on time and got the chance to be in labor with me..

I kept telling baby to wait till Jumaah as it is a good day to come out but if she want to stay till Saturday is ok too..^^

I did solat hajat everyday after maghrib prayer and also did midnight prayer just to seek for Allah redha and assistance and also to keep myself calm along the time...

On Jumaat 20.12.13 noon, I started to feel stronger contractions than before.. I timed the contractions and they was 1 in 30min, then 1 in 20min, duration about 40-50secs..I called husband and told him I dont know if it really is, but I wish he will be home that night as I fear I will give birth at night without him around..

And guess what, he drove all alone that evening and reached home at midnight..Allahu..he just be there when I need him..that night the surges became more intense but still bearable..I managed to breastfeed Zahra while enjoying the surges.. Everytime I felt the surges I squeezed or hold my husband's arm..and he would give a massage at hip area.. I couldnt sleep well that night.. I timed the surges and it was 1in 15 and last 50-60secs..

*Week 41 (21.12.13: Saturday)*

We started the day well.. The surges became consistent but still bearable which made me doubtful am i in true labor?..So just kept going through another day..never think about surrendering myself for induction, maybe tomorrow or day after tomorrow if no progress..

I tried to enjoy the surges..Everytime they came I swayed, I rocked my hip, I took deep breath.. I also took hot shower to relieve some pain..ohh it just gave awesome feeling.. I also squatted and kneeled and controlled mind to calm myself down in between surges. I slept as I knew I need to be energized..My husband massaged me at back of hip to give counterpressure and it reallyyy help to reduce pain. Most of the above activities are the lessons we learned this from childbirth preparation class..Alhamdulillah very helpful and worth every penny spent...

I did all other routines well too: eating, dhuha and texting friends who were more anxious about my birthing^^ ( Nawwarul Huda Zulkefli, Nur Aisyah Razali). The surges became 1 in 10 already and they were shocked that I was still texting and laughing on phone. I just thought I wasnt in real labor yet as they said we couldnt speak much or cant speak at all when the intense pain of labor come.

During noon my husband asked me wether I want to join them to wedding ceremony near to my late parents' village and I said yes..I ate little enough to indulge kampung-style meal, if not because of the pain I would have like triple of meal I took ^^..

The surges became stronger and more consistent yet I still can sit still in the car and walk easily..We went to visit my sister in law at  campus and when I wanted to wudhu'for Zuhr prayer, I noticed there was white egg-like discharge with bloody stain. I smiled and confirmed enough it is the ShoW.. After prayer I informed my husband it will be soon but still couldnt tell the exact time..

I then called my midwife who is also my husband's close relative we called Tokmi..She works in labor room of HSNZ as a very senior midwife with green stripe.. I told her about the show and surges and planned to go to her house after going back home.. At home I breastfed and tried to bring Zahra into sleep and I fell asleep too..^^

Then after Asr prayer we moved to her house but dropped by for awhile at husband's grandparents' house..leaving Zahra with kisses I planned to come back home again before heading to hospital if Tokmi said I need to go there immediately.

After having light evening tea there, we headed to Tokmi's house. There, we were chatting and watching Hindustan for about 30min before having VE with Tokmi.

Being VE-ed for the very first time made me so nervous yet I managed to calm down with zikr and deep breathing.. Tokmi did VE and took out bloody mucous plug with very minimal discomfort..no huge pain as many people describe VE..maybe due to experienced Tokmi and also relaxation techniques: deep breathing and zikr.

Surprisingly she told me that it was 4cm dilated with buldging membrane and asked me to get ready to go to hospital.. I whispered alhamdulillah as I knew we were going to meet new baby very soon^^..

I went out and calmly told my husband that we have to move to hospitaland he seemed shocked..after being reassured by Tokmi the he smiled and moved..what a funny face..

On the way to hospital he called his parents and I made few calls to family members too.. I also texted to my fellow friends to ask for duas and seek forgiveness. I kept myself calm with zikr nabi Yunus and also deep breathing..the surges were still bearable that made me feel it will not be too soon..planning  to ask husband for dinner first but with Tokmi along I felt shy and just kept it myself.

At hospital, Tokmi and I headed to admission while husband searched for carpark. I did empty my bladder first at ground floor toilet. It was going to Maghrib time soon..

I prayed for being attended by gentle female staffs only and I guess my prayer was heard..At admission room there were 3 HOs on duty, 1male 2 female.. Tokmi already told the nurses there my request to be attended by female staffs only. Alhamdulillah there was no problem at all as 2 of docs were heading to solat and left the gentle female one for me.. after being registered by nurses, I was interviewed by Dr. Farah and she did VE on me which wss also not painful for me.. It was 5cm dilated and I was checked in at 1EF ward.

At admission room, I nibbled lots of Ajwa dates like 8-10pcs to keep enegized as I dont know when the baby wanna come out..but I need energy to push her out and my last heavy meal was in the noon and the light evening tea.. I also drank plenty of plain water as we arrived at my bed (luckily I got a bed at corner of end of ward, slightly hidden, so a bit of privacy was gifted freely to me, no need to request for second or first class anymore).

In the ward I was requested to change outfit to too many X-L maternity blouse (feel like wearing a tent cover) & to undergo another VE by a nurse..After that, I was asked to have CTG monitoring as baseline of next actions..

And the dramatic event began!!

Part Two


The dramatic part continued.. As I was VE-ed again by JM nurse (a bit discomfort felt) in ward it was still 5cm dilated. It was around 8pm that time..

Next I waited to have CTG monitiring.. I kept calm and believe everything will be ok..when the CTG start to read, everybody was alert by my baby heart rate..It was 180-190 beat/min..I didnt let myself panic and kept on smiling and zikr to control myself. My BP was around 110/60 which they thought I was not in intense pain..(my usual bp was around 90/60).

I could see unhappy faces on Tokmi's and Sr's..they started to worried as tachycardic baby (heart rate high) can be due to cord round neck or meconium aspirated condition..people commonly say as fetal distress which is an emergency event to handle..

Ohh..I didnt let the the situation overcome my calmness. I tried to be as relax as I possibly could.. My baby heart rate was 129 during admission so i guess  baby was just way a bit exited to see her ummi.. I requested to lie on my left side continuing zikr n remembrance to Allsh..

I kept dua all the.." I am surrendering my self to You , O Allah..not surrendering myself to human or any others except You.. please be with me all the way"..

Ho came by and checked on me..she informed Mo then they decided to push me immediately to Labor room..

I kept smiling and zikr plus dua..Everything is under Allah's will I told myself..whatever it is I believe it is from Him..but I still wanted for Vbac..huhu.^^

From pink gown (less than 30min worn) I changed to white gown with tudung intact..Immediate transfer from CTG bed to transferring trolley.. They wanted to put an Iv line but requested to do inside LR...

I was enjoying the very last moments of my 2nd pregnancy.. Before entering LR I asked for my husband prayer and told him to keep praying for baby too..also informed him about baby's heart rate..maybe he didnt know what to expect but it might be good for him as he didnt need to worry much and keep calm..

Inside LR it was around 9pm, we were informed that all beds were occupied and usually they will put us at extension bay where there are enough space to conduct delivery.. Unluckily if youre at extension site your husband is not allowed yo come..space consuming I guess.. and they asked me if I can wait and I said yes as I wanted my husband to be with me..and lucky me one mother gave birth right after that, so I will take her place..

At birthing room, I was approached by a young female doctor (I requested again for female attendance only, alhamdulillah they agree) and she smiled like an angel..soothing.. I looked at her tag (I like to know people's age and name so I can have conversation up their level I think) and she was a year younger than me..then she must be another HO..but I dont judge doctors by their level but their attitude..

She told me with smile how lucky I am because I am a housewife,how jealous she is to woman who can stay at home.. I smiled back and said to her it is individual rezq, she might have one that others really wanna have..Allah knows every best for every of us.. We continued chatting till she noticed my husband's name.. She was my husband's junior at school but dont really remember my hisband face but his name ( i guess its because his rare name in Malaysia)..

She monitored my CTG-still high baby heart rate-alarming-...My BP was taken..normal..She inserted branula (to start IV and ready for other necessities) and asked forgiveness in advanced if it will fail but I positively said to get insya Allah you'll make it eventhough I know it is not easy to find lines on my hand due to my keloid formation and many times of branula insertion history..^^ and she did it well first time..

She just said to me it will be an ease labor for me as positive mother since early moment got positive birthing insya Allah..I smiled to her while enjoying surges with deep breathing and zikr..She emptied my bladder with catheter (a bit painful)..Her friend then did VE on me and she double confirmed it.. i did ask them why need two times..She said it was just for confirmation..Luckily I didnt fussy enough about that as I know they are learning (their VEs were a bit painful too)..They told me that was 5cm dilated..I could see unsatisfied face on Tokmi (she told me later after birth how come my dilation did not progress since 630pm till 930pn, just smile then)..The next minute they were at my leg I could feel 'kecebushhh': warm water like.. I asked is that my water bag then they said yes and the water was clear from meconium..A little shock as they didnt ask for permission and it was not really emergency to do AROM (artificial rupture of membrane) to me..but I easily forgave it..

After all, my surges become shorter in interval, stronger and longer.. tokmi called in my husband..There you are my saviour..!! Huhu...it became so intense..and it really felt like my hip being pulled down with a crane (haha a bit exaggerate huh).. I tried to deep breath but I lost it some times..same goes to my zikr sometimes I remember but sometimes I forgot especially furing the strong surges..Then my husband really played his role as my labor coach..

He kept reciting zikr nabi yunus to me that make me follow him on and off..He did deep breathing and ask me to do with him on every surges and it did help me a lottt in dealing with pain..how did he know the surges will come?? I knocked his palm everytime I felt the waves coming.. He also recited a part of mathurat and I followed..Baby's heart rate was still high most of the time.. He told me afterward the baby's heart rate did lower around 150-160 when he did zikr, whenever it spiked he did zikr louder and it responded to it well..Subhanallah, the baby soo can hear us and respond..^^

About 45min struggling with pain I started to become more restless I just lift up my leg and told Tokmi I feel like wanna push, I didnt remember anything at all but listening to my husband recitation clearly..I asked him to never stop reciting as I could feel him around and calm enough with his zikr (it was my transtition state I guess cause I just can focus on anything except being restless on the bed).. Tokmi did check again and it was fully dilated.. That time docs were not around as they attended other patient who are fully dilated too.

Tokmi then did membrane sweep with olive oil we brought in while waiting for doctors.. Then the doctors arrived and I was just ready to push (here was the time docs asked husband to take off my tudung, i guess it was for easiness and comfort, luckily no male except husband then).. My first few pushes were not strong and long enough then I could hear one doctor guided me to push; she asked me to lift up my head till chin meet my chest then push longer.. i just couldnt pull my head up due to my left hand condition and later on my husband helped me to prop up high where I could feel more relax and energized to push..I waited for the next surges and I tried to push stronger and longer, when it was not long enough I stole some breath and continued pushing..

My husband kept telling me I was progressing well and reporting me whats going on down ghere..when he told me yhat he can see our baby's hair I felt like having a great force to get it done faster to see my baby..I wasnt crying yet my tears were flowing down non stop..

After few pushes I could feel something slided off from my lower part..It was 1044pm..Then I noticed the surges had stopped..I could hear my husband takbir Allahuakbar and Tahmid near to my ear.

Alhamdulillah..she was born beautifuly...^^ Subhanallah what a wonderful feeling..

I gave birth to a baby via VBAC with no episiotomy but 1st degree tear..stitches done within 45minutes.

Right after our baby was quickly assesed and she cried, she was brought onto my chest..Allah...she is so beautiful..she opened up her eyes widely looking at us..didnt cry anymore but looking so comfort with us..I cried in happiness and felt grateful..feeling blessed.. I tried to breastfeed her and she just clinging on me..some sort of intro to her..^^

Having skin to skin with her was a bless...just wish the time stop for a while or last a bit longer.. I didnt focus at all whats happening 'down' there..but I still could feel my placenta moved down and few seconds later I could see Tokmi was handling it.. i didnt remember if I was jabbed with syntocinon or not..I couldnt focus on anything else except on my baby and husband..

My husband thanked me,kissed and hugged me and baby..he did wiped my tears and never stop smiling.. few minutes later Tokmi said my parents in law called and there were outside LR and wanted to see their second grandaughter...So she was taken but still got time to poo poo on me with lotss of dark meconium till it spilled over bed remote control..^^

It really was a wonderful moment..I was truly grateful for having VBAC..looking back few seconds ago I just couldnt believe it...Allah granted my dua, my wishes and my hope..no words to describe...Allahu akhbar..

There you go the GENTLE PART of my birthing..I will never forget the journey of this birthing as I personally feel it is so special to us and our babies..

Thanks Allah for the amazing experience..

Thanks my dear hubby tuan Syed Mun'em for being an awesome companion..

Thanks to family members, in laws, Tokmi and everyone who involve directly and indirectly with my birthing journey..

Thanks to k. Nurul Fathim Ridayu Ramli (my childbirth educator), members of the gentle birthing support group, members of ICAN/Vbac suppory group for the birthing knowledge, experiences shared and all positive vibes I got..

Thanks to all doctors, midwives and nurses of HSNZ involved in my birthing journey at hospital..hopefully you learn something from my birthing as I learned something giving birth at gov hospital..

May Allah bless us all!!! ALLAHU AKHBAR.....


End of part two-the gentle part...^^

Introducing our Sharifah Sofiyyah Al habshee Syed Abdul Mun'em

This lil Sofiy has passed her first week today...may she become a beneficial person from the day she was born till her last breath.. May she become Hafizah one day..^^

May Allah love, bless, guide & protect her dunya wal akhirat..

1 comment:

  1. Bestnya dapat karang panjang-panjang macam Fiey ni ya..akak tak pernah pula terfikir sebelum ni nak share penegalaman melahirkan. Tapi duk tengok best jugakan share cerita-cerita yang indah ni:)